Before our March meeting, Marjorie attended Longwood’s Orchid show and true to form recorded the Extravaganza, which was passed to me as 135 pictures on a CD! I have winnowed them down to a merely impressive number in the photo gallery below!
Interspersed are non-orchid plants, as Longwood also had some spring displays of daffodils, poppies, cyclamen and other lovelies.
I recall some from our list…
- Phalaenopsis (Moth orchid)*
- Paphiopedilium (Lady’s Slipper)*
- Cattleya (Corsage orchid)
- Dendrobium (Florist bouquets)
- Oncidium (Dancing Lady)
- Cymbidium (waxy flowers on upright strappy foliage)
- Phaius (Nun’s Orchid, large growing terrestrial)
- Miltoniopsis (Pansy orchid)
- Vanda (hang from trees, often grown from baskets
- Ahhhh–too many others to list here
*Said to be easiest to grow as house plants
It must be incredible to be part of the display crew setting all these plants up to make such a spectacle for public viewing!
Click to enlarge and follow the right side arrows to move forward. “X” (top left) exits the gallery.